As a book-loving parent, I spend a lot of time reading, reading, and re-reading children’s books to my family. Since I have three kids, including twins, there is an ever-present array of books scattered throughout my house. They might have a permanent home on a bookshelf, but spend most of their days in use or scattered across the floor, waiting for the next time. We make regular trips to the library too, so there is also a library heap that stays stacked in the living room to reduce the chances of getting lost. It may change in content and height, but the library heap is a regular part of our decor.
Though I have three kids, my focus for Sprout Score reviews will be the books my twin daughters are reading. There are a lot more books rotating through this house for them than my school-age son, simply because his days are filled with other activities and his books take more time to read. So this blog series will be devoted to books for toddlers and pre-schoolers.
These reviews will not only be a simple synopsis of the story. As a parent, I find it very helpful to hear what other parents, and especially other kids, think about the products/books/activities they see and do every day. So, each review will contain a Sprout Score and a Reader Rating:
- ★ I won’t sit still to read this book
- ★★ I’ll sit but I will be bored
- ★★★ I’ll sit and be interested
- ★★★★ I really like this. I’ll point and interact.
- ★★★★★ I love this! Again! Again!
- ★ I’m bored while I read this out loud.
- ★★ I’m indifferent while I read out loud, just another book.
- ★★★ Good book, I enjoy reading out loud.
- ★★★★ I have fun and feel good about reading this out loud.
- ★★★★★ A favorite that I love to read to my kids and will remember.
Since this series is all about sharing, I welcome and encourage you to give your rankings in the comments if you have read the book being reviewed with your kids, too.